The goal of this project is to develop a LMR Trunked System modelling tool that uses coverage data from predictions or real world measurements to confirm system design decisions are sound, and highlight areas where radio terminal site selection performance will be sub-optimal. The tool will allow Tait to more confidently express performance and ultimately provide better solutions for our customers.
"To boldly go where no one has gone before" – No, not space travel, but Google Earth will be involved, so that counts.
In trunked radio systems there is an inherent "loss of service" for the periods of time radio terminals are voting and/or hunting for a new service channel. Understanding this loss of service is important to some customers who require that we can quantify and mitigate the effects. Tait has previously undertaken specific modelling and analysis for one customer and now seeks a general means to predict system performance.
The aim of this work is to determine where coverage or service challenges may lie in a given system, prior to them becoming problematic for radio users. The project will proceed in two parts:
- Modelling trunked system voting/hunting performance from coverage prediction data. Our prediction tool of choice is EDX SignalPro.
- Modelling system performance using signal strength and bit error rate measurements from field sampling and observing the effects on expected system performance as the configuration of network parameters in the terminal and node are varied.
The modelling solution should not be limited to one LMR technology type and be flexible enough to cater for MPT1327, P25 Trunked and DMR Tier 3 systems. Through your involvement you will therefore acquire a working knowledge of LMR trunking, hunting algorithms, and relevant signal parameters, timing and sampling rates.
We plan to incorporate use of this tool system into standard design workflows and hence it will support the delivery of Tait Professional Services sold to our customers.
We expect the tool will make it more cost efficient for Tait to provide certain Services and also enhance the customer-perceived value we can deliver through the Services.
The successful candidate will have:
- At least 3 years of study experience in engineering, science, or computer science;
- A working knowledge of software tools such as (but not limited to) Python, C etc;
- Good communication skills and a thirst for practical learning and problem solving.
Our Clients protect communities, power cities, move citizens, harness resources and save lives all over the world. We work with them to create and support the critical communication solution they depend on to do their jobs.
Digital wireless communications forms the central nervous system of everything we do. We design and manage innovative communication environments for organisations that have to put their total trust in the systems and people they work with.
We make sure that public safety agencies have a wireless communication network that is robust enough to keep their front-line officers informed and safe. We provide solutions for electrical utilities companies that help them keep the power on. In short, we develop communications solutions that are used at the sharp end around the world.
This understanding, and our belief in championing open-standards technology, means we can give our clients the best possible choice and value to achieve the human outcomes they're driven by.
It is easy to see why we are devoted to our customers cause. To understand how, check out www.taitradio.com
This is a fixed term summer-vacation position.
Eligible Interns Must:
To be eligible for a placement, students must:
- Have completed their penultimate or final year of an undergraduate or honours degree, a postgraduate diploma or certificate, or co-joint undergraduate degrees;
- Be studying science, technology, engineering, design or business at a New Zealand university or tertiary institute;
- Be a New Zealand citizen or resident or hold a relevant visa;
- Not have been previously employed at the business or in the industry under a professional arrangement.